Saturday, June 25, 2011

having

I just bought a new laptop. HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition, Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM, 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M graphics card, 6GB RAM, 750GB hard drive. Sweet build for around $800.

I’ll probably read this in a few years and think that computers were crap in 2011…

It’s okay, though, because these are really good specs today. I’m really excited to get to play with it when it arrives in a couple of weeks. I actually can’t afford to pay for it on my own, yet, but when my next paychecks come in from my two jobs, I’ll have enough to pay my parents back. This whole having my own money thing is turning out to be really enjoyable.

(Today, I also had to buy my bed-sheets for school. Did you know that the Charter Club twin extra-long 3-piece sheet set ($70) cost more than twice as much as normal twin sheets ($30)? I ended up ditching those and getting one normal flat sheet ($10) and one extra-long fitted sheet ($25) which I think should work out okay. Who knew sheets were so complicated/expensive?)

Anyways, buying a computer reminded me somehow of the number of Mac users at Exeter, which reminded me of a couple of Mac users in my old dorm, which reminded me of the weird divide that existed among the members of the class of 2011 in my dorm while we were there.

I first noticed it upper year. We were waiting for a dorm meeting to start. Three other uppers (my friends) and I were already sitting down, when someone went, “Where are all the uppers? I bet they’re all in “Mary”’s room watching Mean Girls.” Okay, four uppers were already there. Glad to see we weren’t Bancroft uppers? That was just one example. “Senior picture time!” called “Meena,” after the after-check-in snowball fight the dorm head let us have one night. She grabs “Mary” and the other three members of her friend group and they take a picture. The other four of us…guess weren’t Bancroft seniors, either.

The most blatant instance was the last night of school. They had a Bancroft Senior/Parent Dinner right outside of the dorm. In broad daylight. Apparently they were all sitting there when two of us “others” walked out of the front door. I don’t regret being left out of that group at all. I’m perfectly happy with the very close friends I had in the dorm. I just wish “the seniors” hadn’t been so insulting about it to our faces, whether intentionally or not.

The most awkward part? I’m sure it wasn’t meant to end up like this, but “the seniors” were the white girls + the wealthy Indian girl, and the “other seniors” were the Asian and black girls. Alrighty, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment